Merritt Island Christian School is one of the leading educational institutions in Brevard county to provide daily, on-site, mental health services by a state-licensed clinical psychologist. It is our utmost priority to provide a safe school environment, a supportive learning experience and a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ. By fostering emotional well-being as well as academic, spiritual, social success, our students realize his or her individual abilities and strengths and gain skills in coping with stressors and life challenges.
Dr. Paula McCabe, a Florida-licensed, clinical psychologist brings over 20 years of Christian counseling and traumatic incident/crisis management experience to serve at Merritt Island Christian School. Dr. McCabe earned her bachelor’s degree from the University of South Florida and her Master’s degree and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Nova Southeastern University. Dr. McCabe interned at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital.
We aim to identify and address the individual obstacles and environmental barriers interfering with a student’s academic, interpersonal and personal achievements. Dr. McCabe will assist students with issues such as personal/spiritual identity, self-esteem, bullying, disabilities, academic performance, social/school anxiety, mood disorders, family/social relationships, and crisis stabilization.
Promoting Positive Behavior and Creating a Safe, Productive School Environment by:
- Assessing students’ emotional and behavioral needs
- Promoting wellness through communication skills, social skills, problem solving skills, anger management, conflict resolution, positive coping skills, and resilience training
- Addressing a range of issues such as test anxiety, depression, anger control, anxiety, grief and loss, changes in family dynamics, and crisis stabilization
- Providing short-term individual, group, and family counseling, instruction, and mentoring for those struggling with social, emotional, and behavioral issues
- Facilitating workshops and seminars for parents designed to address common issues affecting students and families
- Connecting families with community service providers when necessary
- Identifying adverse social conditions that threaten healthy development in school community
- Consulting with school security department regarding crisis prevention
- Providing emergency and crisis intervention services