MICS follows the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship requirements for community service hours. At the time of this publication Florida Bright Futures community requirements are as follows:
Florida Academic Scholars: 100 hours of community service
Florida Medallion Scholars: 75 hours of community service
IMPORTANT: These requirements are subject to change with each Florida legislative session.
In order to be eligible for any of the awards listed above, a student must complete the required amount of service hours for the scholarship they are seeking. It is the student’s responsibility to seek out community service opportunities and complete them by the deadline date of March 1st of the senior year. MICS will post opportunities of service hours on the school website throughout the year, but at times it may be necessary for a student to go outside of the school for opportunities. Please continually refer to the Guidance section of the MICS website for possible opportunities. Students may print out Community Service Logs from the website or they may pick them up from the College Advisor. Service Logs may be turned in after each service project or may be saved up until the deadline of March 1st of the senior year. You are strongly encouraged to keep copies for your records.
It is impossible to know if a student entering high school as a freshman will qualify for any Bright Future scholarship, therefore it is strongly recommended that students begin fulfilling their service requirements upon entering ninth grade. To keep on pace it is recommended students complete at least 25 community service hours each year they attend high school. Community service hours earned before the ninth grade are not eligible toward the Bright Futures requirements.
COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
- Responsible scoreboard operator for volleyball, basketball and soccer–Contact Athletic Director Greg Gage 453-2710- ext. 303 (during school year)
- Line judges for volleyball–Contact Athletic Director Greg Gage 453-2710 ext. 303 (fall sport)
- Person to film games–Contact Athletic Director Greg Gage 453-2710 ext. 303
- Need people to help clean and organize things in the athletic department–Contact Athletic Director Greg Gage 453-2710 ext. 303
- “Nathaniel’s Hope Ministry”–Nathaniel’s Hope is an Orlando-based outreach organization dedicated to sharing hope and encouragament with kids wilth special needs and their families. Tim and Marie Kuck established Nathaniel’s Hope in honor of their son, four-year-old Nathaniel Timothy Kuck, who was born with multiple special needs. This ministry is always looking for students 14 years and older to serve in their “Buddy Break” program. Buddies are friends of the special needs kids who have fun playing games, share stories and videos with them. All “Buddies” must be screened and tranined through a two hour “Buddy Training 101” class. For more details and to get involved in this program please contact Tonya Bloodgood at 321-292-1041. This opportunity is available on the first Saturday of every month.
- Annual Guatemala Mission Trip–Held over spring break. Contact First Baptist Church Youth Pastor, Rob Jones at 453-2710 ext. 562 for details. This trip will fulfill ALL required Florida Bright Futures hours.
- First Baptist Church House of Hope–Contact Fayez Ayoub at 453-2710 ext. 201